Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Holiday - Aussie Style (Part 1)

I am back from Australia! Touched down safely on Sunday at about 9.30pm. My dearest colleagues & friends are dying to see the pics that Liah & I took. This gonna be a long blog & I planning on 3 episodes. First will be on Melbourne, then Sydney & lastly, a bonus one on what I got for myself from my holiday! I know the last part seems duh but I really like all the stuff I shopped. :)


Day 1: The Major Sent Off

My family sent me to Changi Airport & it was really sweet of Helmi, Chandran, Daniel & Eve to see us too, right after their busy morning shift. Suliana came as well! I got nice wishes from Daphne, Frankie & Naz for me to enjoy the trip. Though I must admit I was hoping for THAT someone to appear or at least, give me a call, the hope was just in my dreams. Oh well, nothing beats my lovely friends & family. It's just a someone anyway.




They represented the entire Front Office lar... Helmi gave me & Liah a packet of nasi sambal goreng each! He's an OBEK I never had! Haha!



My Bedah rushed from her family outing to see me off! She almost teared when she hugged me. Aaww~



And they all waved...wishing that they can fit into our luggage & follow us to Australia. Helmi: I know you were making fun of me & Liah! That explained their glee!


Day 2 : Welcome to Melbourne!



Arrived in Melbourne at 5.30am. Stayed at this hostel called Urban Central. Didn't have much of a choice coz it seems that the entire Melbourne city hotels are full. Imagine me & Liah with our trolleys in a hostel...Haha! Lotsa cute backpackers though...



We have to wait for check-in till about 2pm so we freshen up at the hostel, stored our luggage & head out to explore the city. The weather is cool yet sunny. Shiok!





And I saw a Singapore Chomp Chomp!



Fairoz recommended fries at this place. It's nice but the serving is huge! I bet 4 persons can share a box of fries! Basically, it's home-styled cut potatoes, deep fried & you can choose a variety of sauces to go along. Yummy but kinda overwhelming.



London Stores...in Melbourne. :)



I love the sights of the Victorian buildings. I stood at a busy junction along Bourke St & Swanson St (the main shopping belts) for awhile & just admire the surroundings. I know where I wanna go for my next holiday....Spain or Italy, please!



After shopping, we walked back to Urban Central to check in. Took a short nap & went to St. Kilda's Pier. Sighs...it's such a serene place to be at. The sky is clear, the water is blue & I felt so at ease.



St. Kilda's Pier before and during sunset.



Had dinner along the pier. We were starving! We ate at a cafe called BeachCombers. The view was great larr...Food was good too. Liah & I shared a plate of pasta & fried calamari. We then made our way back to the hostel for an early night. Tired from all the walking & sleepless flight!


Day 3: Great Ocean Road



When I went to Melbourne 7 years ago, I remembered Great Ocean Rd. I told Liah that she had to see the 12 Apostles if she comes to Melbourne. So we bought a 1 day tour...enjoyed the road trip & the company of Bernie! Bernie is the driver AND the tour guide too. He was making fun of Liah the whole time & even nicknamed us the Singapore girls. Haha!



The houses along Great Ocean Road. Aren't they amazing??



Oh yeah, Liah & I took a helicopter ride to view the 12 Apostles! My virgin ride worr... :)




Bernie man & I!



Day 4: Shopping..& walk, walk, WALK!



Actually, the plan was to go for 1 more tour on our last day in Melbourne. Unfortunately, the tour we wanted wasn't available. Had brunch at Brunetti's, along Swanson St & then to the Shrine of Remembrance. Gosh, I read the map wrongly & we ended up walking for a good 90 mins! It could have just took about 20 mins to reach the Shrine, ley. Then we thought of Queen Victoria Market but it's closed on Mondays & Wednesdays! Geez...God didn't want me to spend I think. Went to a souvenir shop called "Something Aussie" instead & had coffee at Hudson's. Walked AGAIN & realised we were back at Swanson St. Liah & I must have combed the entire city! Shopped for a bit, had a North Indian dinner at one of the food courts, drank Boost juice & back to the hostel. Couldn't wait for Sydney!

1 comment:

Helmi said...

1)Please do not call me OBEK, hehe
2)I like the way u describe the fries. Now I'm having a craving for fries.
3) I can't wait for Sydney